Frequently Asked Questions

The basic steps for applying are
  • Choosing your required programme
  • Identifying universities
  • Taking various required tests like IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, etc.
  • Arranging and preparing essays and recommendation letters
  • Completing and sending application forms along with required documents
  • Applying for VISA after obtaining unconditional offer from the universities
Immigration requirements
Student visas can be obtained from the offices of the British High Commission in Delhi and the British Deputy High Commissions in Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata. Students need to prove that they have an unconditional offer on a full time course, proof of accommodation, sufficient funds to cover the entire cost of studying and living in Britain and that they intend to return home on completion of their course.

Documents that are required for a student visa

  • Completed visa application form (IM2A and IM2S) with two passport size photographs.
  • Valid passport (in original)
  • Visa Fee (non- refundable)
  • Letter of unconditional acceptance from a UK institution for a full time course
  • Proof of funding (bank statement, details of securities held, chartered accountant's certification, I Tax clearance, letter from sponsor etc.)
  • Attested copies of education certificates and English language test (IELTS) score sheet (if applicable)
  • Proof of accommodation in the UK
UK towns and cities have long experience of providing homes for students and there are many affordable, comfortable and safe places to live.

Finding accommodation

You should always try to arrange your long-term accommodation before you leave home. Your institution should be able to help you with this. Colleges have student advisers who can advise you on how to find accommodation and universities have accommodation officers. When you accept a study place, you should receive a package of information, which will include accommodation information. Complete the accommodation application form and return it by the date stated. Even if residential accommodation is not available, there will be an accommodation advisory office which can help you find private accommodation. If you¿re coming to the UK for the first time, accommodation provided by your school, college or university might be the most suitable choice. This is an option taken up by more than half of the international students on degree courses in the UK and around 30 % of those who come to FE colleges. There are advantages to living in accommodation provided by your institution

  • You usually live close to where you are studying
  • You get to know other students easily
  • You are likely to spend less time travelling, so you have time to get to know the local area
  • You will be living in a safe and secure environment
College and university accommodation is also affordable: a room in a self-catering hall of residence or student apartment costs from £180 to £360 per month. The term self-catering means that you will have access to a shared kitchen where you can prepare your own meals. Some universities and colleges also offer accommodation where meals are provided and the cost of your breakfast and evening meal is included in the rent you pay. Where meals are included you can expect to pay from £320 to £400 per month. In the traditional student residence, bathroom facilities are shared but an increasing number of universities and colleges now offer residences with rooms where you have your own private bathroom. You would pay slightly more for this option. If you choose to rent accommodation in the private sector, the options are private hostels, lodgings, bed-sits or shared flats/houses. A lodging is where you rent a room in a private house. Your landlord/landlady would live in the same house, possibly with their family, and would prepare your meals for you. For hostel accommodation and lodgings where meals are included, you can expect to pay £300 to £400 per month. For a bed-sit or a room in a house or flat shared with other students, you would pay from £200 to £380 per month.
Course Fees (Pound Sterling)

Junior High Schools         £6,500 - £7,000 per year
High Schools          £7,000 - £7,500 per year
Undergraduate (Art)         £12,000 - £14,000 per year
Undergraduate (Science)         £14,000 - £15,000 per year
Postgraduate (Art)         £12,000 - £15,000 per year
Postgraduate (Science)         £12,000 - £15,000 per year

Living Expenses (Pound Sterling)

Home stay         £60 - £100 per week
Dormitory (single w/o meal)         £100 - £130 per week
Dormitory (shared w/o meal)         £70 - £100 per week
Dormitory (shared with meals)         £100 - £120 per week
Apartment (without meal)         £120 - £200 per week
Total Living Expenses (excluding course fees)

London          £7,500 per year
Other City in UK         £7,500 per year
Scotland         £5,500 per year
North Ireland         £5,000 per year
Wales         £5,000 per year

How much you should expect to pay for your main needs:

Accommodation or rent         £160 to £350 per month
Heat and light (if not included)          £20 to £40 per month
Food (if not included)         £110 to £135 per month

Other Average Costs:

Underwear, T-shirts         about £10 or less
Jeans         £40 approximately
Winter coats for men and women         £90 approximately
Textbooks approximately         £90 approximately
Winter coats for men and women         £252 per year
Childcare         £160 per month
Laundry         £12 per month
Personal hygiene, cosmetics         £9 to £12 per month
Hairdresser         £10 for men, £12 to £20 for women
Restaurant meal         £5 minimum, £12 average
Daily travel fares         £1 to £3 per day
  • Requires only 15 years of education for direct entry into postgraduate programme
  • International students studying at UK institutions are not required to obtain permission from the jobcentre to take spare time and vacation work.
  • One centralized application form for six undergraduate courses and generally no application fee for postgraduate courses.
  • In UK, most undergraduate degrees take only 3 years while postgraduate degrees take one year; you spend less time away from home and less money on course fees
  • Educational institutions are constantly monitored and reviewed to ensure that courses offered are of high quality.
  • Qualifications from the UK are some of the most recognized and respected worldwide.
  • There is a high success rate for international students in the UK education system.
  • Health insurance is free to students who are studying in UK for 6 months of more
  • There are many routes into education in UK, so chances of accessing the British system are high.
  • UK is the gateway to Europe, rich in history and has welcomed international students for hundreds of years.
Leaving home to study in a different country is always a big step. Fortunately, the UK has a long tradition of welcoming international students to its shores. British schools, colleges and universities have developed world-class student services. These, along with the welfare services provided in the wider community, ensure quality support for international students. Many schools, colleges and universities send a representative to meet new students at the nearest railway station and provide transport to the campus. Institutions also stage orientation programmes just before term starts to help new international students get familiar. Once you have settled in, you will find that the support continues. Most schools, colleges and universities have special international student advisers to help with academic and personal concerns. International offices are open throughout the year and you can seek advice and information on any subject at all. These staff are there to make you feel welcome and to help you adjust to living in the UK. At universities and many colleges, there are student counselors available to advise on personal, financial, practical and health matters. Specialist careers advisers will discuss your career options with you and help you formulate practical plans. Most boarding schools, colleges and universities have professional health care staff on site to advise on your personal health matters.

Degree courses

Many UK universities and colleges have specialist international advisers whose job is to provide support for international students. The international office is the first point of contact for many international students. You can approach international officers for independent advice and information on almost anything, from accommodation to how to extend your permission to stay in the UK. Many institutions also arrange orientation programmes for new international students at the beginning of the academic session. The duration and content of these programmes vary considerably; some last only 1 or 2 days and others a whole week. Typical elements include a tour of the campus, an overview of the facilities and how to use them, explanations of the institution's rules, help with registering for your course, an outline of teaching methods, discussion of important aspects of life in the UK and social events where you can meet staff and other students Institutions also organize a fresher week or fresher fair for all new students. This is a further opportunity to make friends, as well as to join clubs and societies run by other students. Many international students find it useful to join an international student society within their institution. There are two types: societies for all international students, irrespective of nationality, and societies for students from specific countries or regions. Both types of organisation provide useful guidance about the UK from a student's point of view and are a good way of meeting and socializing with other students. The Students Union or international students association may also have information about national or cultural groups outside the institution in the town or city another possible source of support
Most students on courses of more than 6 months will be given a passport stamp that allows them to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. For further information from UKCOSA about this topic, download the Guidance Note, 'Students and employment'. The Rules state that applicants must be able to support themselves and any dependants without working. This means that while there is provision for students to take employment during vacations or spare time, no account may be taken of any prospective earnings from that employment in assessing the ability of a student to meet the maintenance requirement, except where the educational establishment at which the student has a place

  • Is a publicly funded institution of further or higher education which is itself providing and guaranteeing the employment, and has provided details of how much the applicant will earn
  • Is able to guarantee that there are jobs available and how much if anything the applicant will earn.
From April 2012, students graduating with a UK degree, PGCE, PGDE from a Recognised or Listed Body will be able to apply for a job with a UK Border Agency licensed Tier 2 sponsor. They will only be able to switch into Tier 2 if they are in the UK, before their student visa expires.
British universities and colleges are rarely able to offer scholarships for undergraduate studies, although some are available for exceptional students, especially for postgraduate courses in particular fields or for research. The awards guide "Study in Britain: a Guide to Scholarships and Fellowship" gives information about various scholarships available.
British students undergo thirteen years of pre-university education as opposed to twelve years in India. Outstanding marks from one of the central boards or their equivalent or the first year of an Indian degree programme are therefore usually required for direct entry into an undergraduate. For those who do not, as yet, have these qualifications, there is a range of access or foundation courses available. For direct entry into a postgraduate programme a good first class degree in a relevant subject is generally acceptable.