Frequently Asked Questions

Each university has its own entrance requirements and will judge you on an individual basis. The university will map your academic credentials. There is no nationwide set of entrance exams. For more details about this or any other part of the application process, contact the Headway Office or the registrar at the university you wish to attend.
Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All 93-member universities of AUCC offer three or four-year bachelor degree programs; most offer one to two year master's degrees and a number also offer doctoral or PhD programs. Some universities are called colleges, and a few are called institutes, university colleges, or schools. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses, or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. Community colleges do not generally offer degree programs. For more information on Canadian Community Colleges, Contact Geebee Education
To study at a Canadian University, you must first be accepted in a program of study by a recognized Canadian university. Once you have determined which universities meet your needs, contact the registrar's office at each institution to obtain an application for a bachelor's program or a professional degree. If you wish to pursue postgraduate studies in Canada you may obtain more information by contacting the dean of graduate studies at the universities that interest you. It is important to apply early. Generally, international students should apply to a Canadian university up to eight months in advance. Some universities have application deadlines as late as June for a September start date. Typical entry points for international students are the September and January semesters. However, many universities have adopted a procedure of "rolling admissions" which means that they consider international students' applications as they come in throughout the year. However, for graduate programs in particular, it can take time to ensure you are matched with the right faculty adviser, so give yourself enough lead-time. Calendars with course descriptions, admission requirements and procedures, costs and scholarships are available from the registrar at each university. Engineering, optometry, medicine, veterinary medicine, law, and dentistry are fields where the first professional degree is considered an undergraduate program. Limited seats are available contingent on your academic merit. A high level of academic achievement is required for admission. Often at least two years of undergraduate study in a related field are required before you can be admitted to the first professional degree program. Check the university calendar to identify tests such as LSAT (law) or DAT (dentistry) that may also be required.
You have to be proficient in English or French, depending on the University you choose. Most English universities require a score of 560 + on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a score of 70 on the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL). Canadian French-language universities usually assess applicants on a case-by-case basis. For further details.
A bachelor's or undergraduate degree takes three to four years to complete. All honours programs require a high level of achievement and concentration in the subject. An honours degree is generally a forerunner for admission into graduate studies. A master's degree usually requires at least one year of full-time study and includes a thesis. A doctoral degree, or PhD, requires at least three years of additional full-time study, with at least one year on campus. In most cases, a master's degree is required before admission into a doctoral program, but some universities will accept students who have completed an honors degree.
A degree from a Canadian University is recognized around the world and is usually equivalent to an American degree or a degree from another Commonwealth country. Professional and specialized programs such as medicine, nursing and engineering are accredited by reliable and reputable agencies. Current and new academic programs are regularly reviewed by provincial, institutional or regional bodies to ensure quality standards. Canada does not have a transfer of credits process similar to that found in the U.S. However an accurate mapping is done by the appropriate provincial charter coupled with membership. For specific details on degree recognition, please consult with Geebee Education. We will assist with your credentials or qualifications being recognized in Canada by referring them to the appropriate bodies.
The cost of living in Canada is moderate, compared with other countries. Some prices of typical goods and services are as follows (in US dollars):
  • One month's lodging, one-bedroom apartment: $400
  • Bus fare, one way: $1.50
  • Local telephone call: $0.25
  • Modest restaurant meal: lunch $7/dinner $14
  • Movie: $7
Canadian winters are chilly, an adequate warm clothing budget is essential. Budget around $250 - $350 US for proper winter wardrobe. You will need approximately $12,000 US ($18,840 Cdn or 13,000 Euro) to cover your expenses for an academic year. This includes your tuition and living expenses but not your air-fare. Please remember that this figure is an average only. Actual expenses may vary depending on the region of the country you live in, the tuition fees at the university you attend and your field of specialisation. Consult us to assist with your financial planning
Most universities offer the option to live on-campus either in residences designated for international students or in residences generally available to all students on campus. However, acceptance at a Canadian school does not ensure accommodation in a residence. Here you will get more information on Housing Option.
  • All international students may work on campus
  • Graduate or research work completed at facilities associated with your institution (such as hospitals) also meets the definition of "on-campus"
  • In order to work off-campus, international students must obtain a work permit. This is granted if your employment is considered essential to your course of study
Potential Policy Change:
Please note that the Canadian government is now looking at the possibility to allow, under certain conditions, full-time international students to work part-time off-campus during the school term and full-time during the holidays. Please contact us for more details. In addition, you may request a work permit if you finish your degree in Canada and wish to work for a year in your field of study.
You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province and sometimes from university to university within each province. Please check with us for detailed information. Also, we will inform you whether the universities you are applying to have any medical insurance plans for international students. The provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan cover international students under their provincial health care plans. Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Quebec do not cover international students under their provincial health care plans. International students planning to study in one of these provinces must arrange for private medical coverage through private insurance companies.